Basic Boat Info
Engines / Speed
- Make: Yanmar
- Model: 4JH5
- Fuel: Diesel
- Engine Power: 55hp
- Year: 2010
36 York Street
York, Maine, US, 03909
New cable for Raymarine ST60 speedometer transducer
Rebuilt Wilcox Crittenden manual “Skipper” head
New steering cables
New genoa sheets
New autopilot drive
Nova lift outboard hoist
Replace head hoses
New stainless uncoated lifelines
New EPIRB – ACR Globalfix Pro, replaced battery in 2020 and recertified
New life rings
Refurbish swim ladder
AIS transponder added
Added Sea Frost compressor for dedicated freezer
New Corian countertop in hand
New holding tank and plumbing in head
Centerboard cable replaced
Automatic fire suppression in engine room
Remove and clean fuel tank
New holding tank
New white vinyl cockpit cushions with green piping (1” closed cell foam)
New Sunbrella canvas for pedestal and custom Dodger
HULL & DECK:
- White original gelcoat on hull topsides.
- White house and deck with Light Green nonskid molded-in; the white on two two tone decks has been Awlgripped in past.
- Black Cove Stripe.
- Black Boottop.
- Green Bottom – Petit SR 60 ablative bottom paint.
- Exterior teak trim – toerails, handrails and deck eyebrows.
- Shoal draft with centerboard.
- Teak aft deck hatch covers.
- Teak dorade boxes with cowl vents and stainless steel dorade guards.
- Stainless steel genoa track.
- Construction: Hand laid fiberglass hull and deck. Hull is cored with Airex for additional strength per weight.
- The core is deleted and the hull reinforced with additional laminations in all high stress areas.
- Hull stringers cored with Airex are bonded to the hull and integrated with the mast step and engine mounts to form a single unit that is strong and light.
- Hull laminate fabricated of unidirectional glass for a better strength per weight ratio.
- The deck is set in a 6" flange on the hull, then fiberglassed and bolted in place.
- Centerboard is fiberglass with a bronze leading edge and lead fill, operated by cable and a Merriman winch.
- Coamings have varnished teak.
- 2022 Hinckley lubricated all bronze seacocks.
Fuel: Approximately 60 gallons.
Water: Approxmately 150 gallons.
Holding: 30 gallons with 12V macerator pump (4-valve to overboard or into holding tank or deck pumpout).
ENGINE & MECHANICAL:
- 2010 Yanmar 4JH5 55 hp diesel, 4 cylinder, FWC, with approximately 600-700 hours.
- 2.2:1 reduction gear.
- Aquamet S/S shaft.
- 3 blade Max-prop; dripless shaft seal
- Racor fuel filter.
- 12-gallon stainless steel water heater.
- 2021 Espar DL-5 cabin heater with digital thermostat.
- Electric bilge pump.
- (4) Fire extinguishers.
- Oil and filters changed Fall 2022.
- Separate 12V systems for starting and accessories.
- 2020 4-6V AGM batteries; 2023 AGM starting battery.
- Emergency override switch for starting from accessory batteries.
- (2) Engine alternators: 105 amp/hr Balmar lighting and 65 amp starting Neville-Leeson alternator (2022 alternators overhauled with new regulator).
- 12V outlet on deck.
- DC circuit breaker panel with spare breakers.
- 110V shore power.
- Prosine 2000w inverter-charger.
- 110V ground fault outlet in galley and head.
- Shore power cord.
ACCOMMODATIONS & LAYOUT:
- CHERIE has the standard Sou'wester 42 layout that sleeps 6-7.
- She is finished in Herreshoff style with white bulkheads, varnished mahogany interior trim with gloss highlights, and a teak and holly cabin sole finished in gloss polyurethane.
- Interior cushions Green Ultrasuade.
- Opening chrome ports, opening hatches and fixed ports provide natural light and ventilation.
- Interior lighting throughout is by Frigast lights and dome lighting.
- Espar D5L heater heats the interior when necessary.
- CD stereo system (nav station) with speakers in main salon.
OWNER'S STATEROOM (Forward):
- Vee berth has an insert and cushion to form a double berth with memory foam cushions.
- Seat between.
- Storage drawers under the berths with lockers over outboard port and starboard.
- Full hanging locker starboard.
- Bureau with locker.
- Opening hatch in cabin top.
- Forward door access to the forepeak chain locker.
HEAD (Next aft Port):
- Stainless steel sink with Skanvick fixture on Corian counter; teak grate sole.
- Hot and cold water pressure water.
- Handheld shower drains to a sump tank.
- Wilcox Crittendon head, 2019.
- Opposite the head is a large full height hanging locker.
- Locker stowage outboard.
- 110V ground fault outlet
MAIN SALON (Full width)
- Pilot and transom berths port and starboard with centerline drop leaf mahogany dining table.
- Lower port berth slides out to form a narrow double with full length pilot berth outboard.
- Starboard is pull out settee with short pilot berth and storage locker aft.
- Storage is under the pilot berths accessed via transom settee/berth seat backs.
- Small bureau with shelf is between hanging locker and forward end of starboard settee.
- Custom additional locker over aft above the starboard settee.
- Small shelf over outboard starboard settee.
- Port and starboard forward bulkheads have.
- Varnished mahogany book/storage shelf.
- Frigast 12V lights.
- Chelsea Clock and barometer.
- Varnished mahogany main salon dining table is on center with fold-down leaves.
- There is also a stainless steel safety grab pole (centerboard line interior).
- Overhead opening hatch
- Opening ports as well as fixed portlights
U-SHAPED GALLEY: (Aft to port)
- Separated from the main salon by a half bulkhead capped with varnished mahogany.
- Stainless steel countertops.
- Double Stainless steel sinks with hot & cold pressure water.
- 2003 Force 10 3-burner gimballed propane stove with oven and a safety shut-off.
- Sea Frost (engine driven or 12V or 110V) refrigerator/freezer with countertop hatch access.
- 110V ground fault outlets.
- Locker stowage over aft and outboard with additional countertop trap stowage outboard the sink.
AFT QUARTERBERTH AREA: (Starboard)
- Aft of the Nav Station.
- Berth with storage under.
- Shelf storage over outboard.
- More storage locker space inboard.
- Two door access the engine and shaft areas.
- Centerline aft companionway with port and starboard varnished teak handrails provides handy access from the nav area or the galley to the cockpit.
- HRH pedestal steering with “destroyer type” steering wheel with elkhide covered rim.
- Danforth binnacle compass in chrome binnacle.
- Stainless steel binnacle guard.
- Pedestal single lever steering control.
- Cockpit Cushions.
- Electric Harken 54 primary winches.
- Cockpit Dodger Sage with stainless steel grab bar.
- The Hinckley SW-42 has a large "T" shaped cockpit which comfortably accommodates a large crew, but is also well laid-out for short handed sailing.
- Sailing instruments are mounted on the steering pedestal and the engine panel in the cockpit.
- Two-speed Barient #28 secondary winches are mounted aft and are within easy reach of the helmsman so the boat can be tacked single-handed if necessary.
- Teak rimmed cockpit coaming with chrome edge winch pockets.
- Teak cockpit sole with drainage scuppers.
- Traveler is just in front of the binnacle and winches are within easy reach for singlehanded sailing.
- The watertight, opening cockpit seats and aft lazarette house large storage areas detailed to maximize space.
- A large sail locker is to port in the cockpit while starboard aft is propane tank storage; 2-10 lb tanks.
NAVIGATION STATION: (Aft Starboard)
- Opposite the galley and separated from main cabin by partial bulkheads.
- Forward facing varnished mahogany nav desk with 3-drawers built-in inboard.
- Cushioned nav seat ultra leather.
- Instruments and electrical panel mounted outboard.
- Dome lights over table.
- Quarterberth aft of nav with short hanging locker.
- Raymarine E120 color plotter/radar; new S/S Garhauer radar mast installed at stern recently.
- Autohelm 7000 Autopilot.
- Raymarine wind display.
- Raymarine multi display.
- Icom M504 VHF with ram mic at helm.
- Ritchie 6” Compass.
- At Nav table, Raymarine ST60 Plus Speed, Wind & Depth are not connected to cockpit instruments – need to be connected through Neema 2000.
- Northstar 952x GPS Plotter.
- Large breaker panel outboard.
- CD changer.
- Garhauer S/S 8’ pole aft of radar mount.
SAILS & RIGGING:
- Spars are built by HRH of extruded sections.
- Mast and boom are 1 foot longer than standard.
- Double spreaders are tapered aluminum.
- Stainless steel standing rigging with turnbuckle tensioners.
- Hall quick vang.
- Harken traveler.
- Harken Seafurl on headstay.
- Spinnaker gear on mast.
- Spinnaker pole.
- Harken Battcar system on full-batten mainsail with Dutchman system.
- Harken traveler has 3:1 purchase.
- Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster.
- Harken 54 Electric primaries – S/S and 2 speed.
- Barient #28 STC Secondaries.
- (2) Barient #23 on house aft.
- Barient #23 main halyard.
- Barient #23 spinnaker halyard.
- Barient #23 jib halyard.
- Norlam Main sail with Dutchman System (new braid on Dutchman in 2021).
- Hood original Spinnaker – tri radial 0.75 oz.
- Staysail – Hank on with removable inner forestay.
- Dacron storm jib and storm tri-sail, unused.
- Norlam 135% Genoa on roller furler (high cut claw).
- Norlam cruising 155% genoa - lightweight.
- Cruising 1.5 oz Spinnaker, Bohndell with sock.
- Sunbrella sail cover for main.
- 2023 Mainsail and 135% genoa being washed and checked by North Sail Loft, South Freeport.
- Ground tackle with chain gypsy and rode capstan.
- Ideal #2 12V windlass (just up button on foredeck).
- CQR 45# plow anchor with 200’ x 5/16” HT chain stored in lighted chain locker.
- Yachtsman anchor – 50 lb with rode.
- 20# Danforth anchor with chain lead and rode.
- HRH stainless steel bow roller.
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits.
- Stainless steel stanchions and double lifelines with gates.
- HRH Boarding ladder.
- Saltwater deck wash system.
- (4) Fenders with covers.
- Midrail cleats for spring lines.
- Life jackets.
- Flare kit.
- (2) Horseshoe liferings, 2020.
- Lifesling (not mounted).
- Masthead tri-color mast light, replaced in 2020.
- (4) Fire extinguishers.
- Screens for all hatches.
- Complete galleyware.
- Fog horn.
- Ensign and staff.
- 12V outlet
- Emergency tiller.
- 1989 8’6” Achilles roll-up dinghy with inflatable floor.
- 1991 Honda 5 hp 4 stroke outboard with 3 gallon remote tank.
- Exclusions: Personal gear.
COMMENTS: CHERIE has been professionally maintained and loved by her present owner who has maintained her in top condition. She was repowered with a 55 HP Yanmar in 2010 and she has the Raymarine E 120 electronics. She is set up for short handed cruising with Harken electric primary winches. Below decks CHERIE has a "Herreshoff" style interior with varnished mahogany trim. This provides a light and cheerful interior with beautiful joiner work Hinckley is renowned for. The Sou'west 42 was designed by McCurdy Rhodes and continues to be a popular, highly regarded, handsome vessel which sails and handles easily to make most discerning sailors happy. Easy short handing is aided by her Harken Batcars and Dutchman mainsail system, and a mainsheet traveler in front of the binnacle wheel. CHERIE has been winter stored indoors for the past 16 years. Please call for your inspection and thank you for your interest.
Potential purchasers should assume that items on the vessel at the time of viewing, but not specifically listed on this specification sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht. These specifications are believed to be correct but cannot be guaranteed. Specifications are provided for information purposes. Data was obtained from sources believed reliable but is not guaranteed by owner or brokers. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify all speeds, consumptions, capacities and other measurements contained herein and otherwise provided, and agrees to instruct his surveyor to confirm such details prior to purchase. Vessel subject to sale, price and inventory changes, and withdrawal from market without notice.
Mechanical Disclaimer: Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meter. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise, and major overhauls as well as ALL other representations noted on the listing.
DISCLAIMER TO BOARD VESSEL: In the event the Buyer boards the vessel either on land or in the water without a broker or owner, the Buyer(s) agrees and understands he boards at his sole risk and liability.
Annie Gray is a longstanding YBAA member, offering 48 years of experience in assisting clients in the purchase or sale of high quality yachts of distinction. Please call Annie at 207-363-7997 or on her cell at 603-498-3450