Basic Boat Info
Engines / Speed
- Make: Westerbeke
- Model: W46
- Fuel: Diesel
- Engine Power: 46hp
36 York Street
York, Maine, US, 03909
HULL & DECK:
Structural restoration by current owner includes: replaced the floor timbers and lower frame sections beneath the engine, installed new engine bedlogs with custom bronze fabrications, replaced the stern post heel, knee, aft end of the wood keel and wormshoe, and remounted the heel gudgeon, repaired some superficial checked areas of the wood keel with Dutchmen, replanked the hull aft beneath the turn of the bilge on both sides with Carvel Sipo planking for the lower strakes and double planking (Sipo over cedar) above, repaired the deck surrounded a starboard forward chainplate, repaired leaking at edges of centerboard monel cap aft, reinstalled the starboard cockpit scupper through hull with a new pad, repaired the bulkheads forward end of cockpit lockers, and replaced cockpit locker ceiling and inboard board partitions.
June 2021 below the waterline, completely sanded down and caulked as perceived necessary, and painted for Classic Yacht Races; above the waterline was painted 2020.
- Painted white mahogany carvel hull planking, laid over diagonal teak (double planking in excellent condition).
- White oak frames 1 1/2" x 2 1/4" on 12" centers; white oak deck beams, stem, keel and horn timber.
- Bronze fastenings.
- Full length wooden keel with external cast iron ballast with Monel keel bolts.
- Bronze thru hulls below waterline; bronze centerboard.
- All repairs around the centerboard trunk have been completed to ensure all former leaks have been stopped.
- Cream-colored painted fiberglass over marine plywood decks with non-skid surfaces in excellent condition.
- Teak toerails, hand rails, trunk cabin and trim.
- Skeg hung wooden rudder, sealed in fiberglass.
- S/S double stern and bow rail with S/S stanchions in bronze bases recently rebedded .
- Double white vinyl lifelines.
- New bronze opening portlights with screens in cabin trunk.
- Forward hatch, skylight hatch over main salon, offset companionway hatch and lazarette hatch.
- Bronze cleats and deck hardware.
- Edson pedestal wheel steering with brake chain system with a S/S helm wheel in aft self-bailing cockpit.
- White Sunbrella Dodger with S/S frame.
- Pedestal-mounted teak table.
- Two large cockpit sail lockers, raised bridge deck and an offset starboard companionway.
Fuel 25 gallons in Monel tank.
Water: 100 gallons in two 50 gallon Monel tanks located under each settee.
Holding: 5 gallons in poly tank above W.C. in a locker with y-valve.
Hot Water Heater: 6 gallon S/S tank in port cockpit locker.
ENGINE & MECHANICAL:
Westerbeke W46 diesel, 46 hp, 4 cylinder, FWC, completely refurbished and rebuilt in 2015 by Downeast Diesel by John Spofford. Work performed included new ZF transmission (unknown model and gear ratio), new injector fuel pump and injectors, a rebuilt starter motor, and a compression test (good results). Engine serviced annually.
Engine beds are solid and in very good condition.
Exhaust, muffler, exhaust manifold all in excellent condition.
1" S/S shaft; New 2021 4 blade feathering prop ($3,000).
PSS dripless shaft seal.
Dual fuel filters.
- New 12VDC & 110V AC electrical systems with circuit breaker panels.
- Three bilge pump switches at main power distribution panel.
- 2016 three 12V batteries; two deep cycle lead acid Group 31 batteries for the house bank; one Group 24 new starting battery.
- Battery selector switch.
- Amp and volt meters.
- Alternator and battery charger.
- Three 12V bilge pumps installed with automatic switches.
- For six in a traditional layout, finished in the Herreshoff style with white bulkheads and varnished mahogany trim.
- Vee berths in forward cabin with new cushions followed aft by an enclosed head to port.
- Manual Groco W.C. with S/S sink with hot and cold pressure water (sink and faucets are new) and handheld shower (shower sump pump).
- Medicine cabinet in head.
- Main salon has two transom berths and two pilot berths above, all with new berth cushions.
- A drop leaf varnished mahogany table is mounted on centerline.
- Next aft is the galley, both to port and starboard. The stove and S/S sink are to port and large icebox is to starboard.
- The stove is a new S/S gimbaled two burner LPG stove with oven.
- The cabin sole is a natural-finished teak sole.
- This is an attractive, bright interior with quality joinerwork throughout.
- Simrad AP24 autopilot.
- New Garmin chartplotter.
- 6" Wilfred O. White brass binnacle compass.
- ICOM M422 VHF Radio below with Command Mic II.
- Cockpit bulkhead - Datamarine CD400 digital depthsounder, Datamarine CW360 wind direction.
- Jensen AM-FM-CD player with speakers.
SAILS & RIGGING:
- New Full-battened mainsail and mizzen.
- 2020 new Mack Sails including Main, Genoa, Mizzen; also new Asymmetrical top down self furling spinnaker.
- New Mack Pack.
- 2019 Light Dacron gennaker.
- 120% Mack Sails.
- Harken furling genoa system.
- Harken traveler system (at aft end of cockpit).
- Painted aluminum mast and mizzen.
- Slab reefing on boom.
- Aluminum whisker pole.
- Main and mizzen sail covers; new Mack.
- Three bronze Merriman halyard winches on main mast.
- Two bronze Merriman halyard winches on mizzen mast.
- S/S tracks mounted on toerail caps.
- Main & mizzen booms are varnished spruce.
- Painted wooden spreaders.
- Halyards are wire to rope.
- Sheets are yacht braid.
- S/S standing rigging is in excellent condition.
- S/S chainplates are in excellent condition.
- Two Barient #27 S.T. 2 speed bronze winches.
- Two Barient #28 single speed winches.
- One bronze Merriman #2 mainsheet winch.
- Main & mizzen masts are keel-stepped.
- 12V Ideal vertical gypsy windlass with deck switch, with hawse pipe.
- S/S Spartan 35 lb plow mounted on S/S bow roller with galvanized 5/16" chain rode.
- LPG vented locker with one steel LPG tank, regulator and solenoid shutoff in galley.
- Three fire extinguishers.
- High capacity diaphragm manual bilge pump located in starboard cockpit locker.
- Fenders and docklines.
- All nav lights.
COMMENTS: MAMBO is a 40' centerboard yawl designed by Ted Hood in 1958 and built in Japan in 1960 known as a Tor 40. She was a successful participant in the Bermuda and Halifax races in her day. She has recently undergone an extensive structural restoration by Traditional Boats in Unity, Maine. She is a well-designed, well-built boat, and an excellent sailing vessel. Recent work performed includes a new galley with propane system and range oven, all new bronze portlights, new canvas and cushions throughout, and a new dodger. Her Westerbeke 46 diesel was removed and completely serviced which included a new transmission, and is in very good condition. Her hull is double planked with a diagonal teak inner layer and a mahogany outer carvel layer. Her centerboard is solid bronze. Her masts are aluminum, her booms are spruce. Her cabin and all of her deck joinery are solid teak, her hardware with the exception of her railings and lifeline stanchions, is bronze.
This is a superb "Classic" yawl which turns heads in every harbor and is offered now at an outstanding value, due to Seller relocating. We highly recommend your inspection. Thank you for your interest.
Potential purchasers should assume that items on the vessel at the time of viewing, but not specifically listed on this specification sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht. These specifications are believed to be correct but cannot be guaranteed. Specifications are provided for information purposes. Data was obtained from sources believed reliable but is not guaranteed by owner or brokers. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify all speeds, consumptions, capacities and other measurements contained herein and otherwise provided, and agrees to instruct his surveyor to confirm such details prior to purchase. Vessel subject to sale, price and inventory changes, and withdrawal from market without notice.
Mechanical Disclaimer: Engine and generator hours are as of the date of the original listing and are a representation of what the listing broker is told by the owner and/or actual reading of the engine hour meter. The broker cannot guarantee the true hours. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and/or his agent to verify engine hours, warranties implied or otherwise, and major overhauls as well as ALL other representations noted on the listing.
DISCLAIMER TO BOARD VESSEL: In the event the Buyer boards the vessel either on land or in the water without a broker or owner, the Buyer(s) agrees and understands he boards at his sole risk and liability.
Annie Gray is a longstanding YBAA member, offering 47 years of experience in assisting clients in the purchase or sale of high quality yachts of distinction.
Please call Annie at 207-363-7997 or on her cell at 603-498-3450