HULL & DECK:
- 2016 Awlgripped Flag Blue hull (Hull #20), red boottop, green bottom.
- White gelcoated superstructure and pilothouse; two-toned white with beige decks and trunk cabin top.
- 2016 Awlgripped red sheer stripe.
- 2016 Bottom sand-blasted and epoxied two coats.
- Fiberglass hull with core materials used in specific areas.
- Skeg-hung rudder with protected prop; cutaway forefoot for excellent sailing performance.
- Varnished teak caprails.
- S/S capped rubrails on hull; S/S handrails on housetop.
- Round bilged hull with raked stem with bowsprit and anchor platform, transom stern with full-width swim platform, with swim ladder and transom door to deep cockpit.
- Dual helms - one in raised pilothouse with 360 degree visibility, large opening side windows overhanging top forming a visor, two skylight hatches in pilothouse, two sliding double aft doors to the cockpit. Also, 3 skylight hatches with screens in forward trunk cabin and 3 S/S ports with screens in trunk cabin sides.
- Side decks lead around cabin to the spacious self-bailing cockpit with pedestal steering with large elkhide-covered steering, a handsome varnished teak drop leaf table, coaming seat backs and large storage seat lockers, port and starboard.
- Cockpit teak grates, built-in insulated cooler, S/S foot rails under table, locker for two 10 lb LPG aluminum tanks, and separate locker for gas tank for dinghy, hot and cold cockpit shower.
- Kato S/S dinghy davits on three solar panels mounted on cross bars.
- Cockpit Edson pedestal steering with chain and cable to rudder post quadrant.
- Inside steering station has Hynautic hydraulic steering.
- Fiberglass rudder.
- Marelon through hull fittings.
- S/S bowsprit with dual anchor rollers.
- Bow pulpit on bowsprit.
- 2012 double, uncoated S/S wire lifelines with double gates.
- 12" S/S forward mooring cleats.
- 12" S/S mid mooring cleats.
- 12" S/S aft mooring cleats.
- Varnished teak caprails.
- S/S handrails on cabin top.
- Pilothouse steps to cabin top.
- Deck/anchor pressure saltwater washdown.
- 44" Edson wheel in cockpit with cover for wheel, pedestal and table.
Fuel: 150 gallons in two aluminum tanks (one tank new 2016).
Water: 220 gallons in two aluminum tanks.
Holding: 55 gallons with 12V macerator pump.
Hot Water: 11 gallons off engine & 110V.
ENGINE & MECHANICAL:
- Single Yanmar 4J2HUTE diesel, 100 hp, FWC, with 1938 hours as reported on the hour meter as of 9-2017.
- Kanzaki KMH4 2.63:1 reduction gear.
- Waterlift muffler.
- 1 1/2" S/S shaft with spur cutters on shaft.
- 2010 Max prop 3 blade feathering prop.
- 2012 PSS dripless shaft seal.
- 1 1/2" S/S shaft.
- Original 3 blade prop as spare.
- Rule 2000 bilge pump and control switch at pilothouse.
- Hydraulic steering in pilothouse (switching lever at cockpit helm).
- Cable steering in cockpit and used with autopilot.
- Engine oil change system.
- Dual oversized Racor 900MA filters with vacuum gauge.
- Engine room blower.
- Vetus bow thruster.
- Fuel tank gauges.
- Wiper, starboard side.
- Espar forced air, diesel-fired cabin heater with heating ducts to library, stateroom, and main salon.
- Jabsco oil changer.
- Cruising speed: 7 knots; Maximum speed: 8.5 knots @ 3600 RPM.
- 12V &110V circuit breaker panels.
- 110V shore power cord.
- 2005 Two Group 27 starter batteries.
- 2017 Four 6V house bank batteries with selector switches.
- 2016 rebuilt Balmar high output alternator.
- 2014 Magnum 2kw inverter/charger.
- 2014 Magnum battery monitor.
For a total of five in a spacious, bright, well-designed Herreshoff-style interior with white bulkheads and varnished teak trim, and all new 2016 Ultrasuede berth cushions, blue with red piping.
Chain locker forward is followed by the master stateroom with full queen island berth which lifts on gas cylinders to provide enormous storage under. The hull is sheathed in varnished teak ceiling and there are numerous storage lockers and book shelves outboard with a large hatch overhead. To starboard is a large hanging locker; to port is a locker with storage shelves. A 32" Toshiba flat-screened LCD TV with built-in DVD player is mounted to starboard of entry door.
Next is a private door to the portside head. A separate door from the passageway accesses the head as well. The head has a Tecma 12V fresh water W.C., a shower compartment with flexible shower wand and Lexan folding shower door, and varnished teak shower grate. Forward in the head is a scalloped white sink, teak-framed medicine cabinet, numerous shelves and linen lockers.
Opposite the head to starboard is an amidship "guest" cabin which is designed to be an office-library, with one single settee which pulls out to a berth. Storage is under the berth and there is a built-in desk with portable folding upholstered seat, beautifully crafted bookshelves, a bar with "glass" cabinet, drawers, and Fusion stereo-Ipod system with Bose speakers in the salon.
The "down" U-shaped galley is to port with plenty of light and ventilation. There are attractive Corian countertops, a large work space, impressive storage lockers for pots, dishes, a spice rack, dry goods etc. A polished S/S Force 10 three burner stove with oven was installed in 2014; there is a deep, well insulated 12V freezer and fridge, double S/S sinks with in-line water filter, hot and cold pressure water and a fresh water foot pump. Trash container is located under the galley stairs.
Up several steps is the main salon/pilothouse which has two generous-sized single settee berths with a varnished teak drop leaf dining table between. The backrests lift up to provide wider berths, reading lights, and a place to store your bedding during the day. Forward in the pilothouse is the inside steering station with built-in chart table with storage under, a comfortable ultrasuede folding helm seat and back rest, full engine and electronics instrumentation, and 360 degree visibility when underway. A wet locker is to starboard of the helm. When the weather turns wet and nasty, what better place to be than in the warm and dry pilothouse where you can turn on the Espar diesel heat. There are numerous red-white overhead dome lights, and five low voltage Hella fans throughout the interior.
- The Simrad B&G Electronics Network was professionally installed August 2012 by Yachmasters of Seattle, and includes NSE12 and NSE8 multi-display chartplotter/radar/AIS/fishfinder/depthsounder. All electronics tied in with 2012 Simrad autopilot and other displays.
- Simrad NSE-12 12" multiface Radar-GPS display at inside steering station.
- Simrad NSE-8 8" multiface Radar-GPS display in cockpit.
- Simrad 4G 24 mile radar.
- Simrad NAIS 300 Class B AIS transceiver (transmits & receives).
- B&G T-21 multi-display windspeed & direction & knot-log screens, three in cockpit, one in pilothouse.
- B&G Autopilot controller in cockpit.
- Simrad AP2802 autopilot.
- Simrad HLD-2000 linear drive.
- Simrad T41 autopilot control & display in pilothouse.
- Simrad wind, depth, and speed transducers.
- Simrad BAM1 sounder module.
- Simrad GS15 GPS antennae.
- Fusion stereo system, AM/FM, Aux, IPOD.
- Salon and cockpit speakers.
- Vetus 12V bow thruster controls in pilothouse and cockpit.
- ICOM M424 VHF marine radio.
- ACR EPIRB.
- 32" Toshiba TV & built-in DVD player in owner's cabin.
- 2 Ritchie compasses.
SAILS & RIGGING:
- 2017 Awlgripped mast, boom and vang.
- Masthead Cutter Rig (presently sailed as sloop).
- Internal furling Schaefer Mainmast with solid vang.
- 2015 new Ullman mainsail.
- 2014 Schaefer roller furling system for staysail (presently removed).
- 2014 Schaefer roller furler for genoa.
- 2010 150% North Sail genoa.
- 2012 90% North Sail staysail.
- Spreader lights.
- 2012 OGM LED tricolor nav light on top of mast.
- 2012 Tri-lens radar reflector.
- Mast mounted forespar spinnaker/whisker pole with all vertical toggle car, vertical pole storage, DC-2 deck chock, track and rigging installed - Yacht Masters 9/2010.
- 2012 all standing rigging replaced by Yacht Masters.
- 2016 2 electric Lewmar ST44 primary winches.
- 2 Lewmar 30 2 speed halyard winches on mast.
- Arco S.T. 44 (on starboard coaming for vang and mainsheet).
- 5 Lewmar clutches.
- Lewmar S.T. 30 winch (on port coaming for mainsail control lines).
- 2016 serviced all winches.
- Spinnaker halyard.
- Spare genoa halyard.
- Lewmar electric anchor windlass (vertical type) with chain stopper and separate controls in pilothouse.
- 2nd anchor hawse pipe and split anchor lockers.
- 45 lb Manson Boss anchor with 200' of 5/16" HT chain.
- 45 lb Bruce anchor with 250' of anchor rode and chain.
- 35 lb Fortress stern anchor with 200' of anchor rode and chain.
- S/S dorade ventilator in cabin top.
- S/S stanchions.
- Complete original construction drawings for vessel.
- Engine manual as well as manuals for all appliances and systems.
- 12V auto-manual electric bilge pump; manual bilge pump.
- 2012 bimini top with awning.
- Entire Sunbrella winter cover (in four parts).
- 10' AB inflatable dinghy with aluminum bottom (Hypalon material).
- Brass clock and barometer.
- Rig tension gauges.
- Canvas leeboards.
- Pilothouse outside window shades; pilothouse inside mini blinds.
- Aluminum outboard bracket.
- Fenders, docklines.
- Radar reflector.
- Emergency tiller.
- Fire extinguishers.
- Covers for pedestal, wheel, cockpit table.
- Emergency manual bilge pump.
- Flares, boathook.
- Winch handles.
- Xintex LPG detector.
- Shower sump pump.
- 3- watt solar panels and regulator on aluminum frame with fittings from Kato davit mounts.
- EXCLUSIONS: ARTWORK, RECORDING BAROMETER, HANDHELD VHF, YAMAHA 8 HP OUTBOARD, PERSONAL EFFECTS.
COMMENTS: SAFARI is one of the impressively-built Mark Ellis designed Cabo Rico Northeast 400 Motorsailers. These unique vessels have proven to provide 8 knot trawler speeds under power with their 100 hp Yanmar diesels, and high performance under sail, easily reaching 7- 9 knots. This unusual speed for a motorsailer is due to her long waterline, fine entry forward, cutaway forefoot and flat sections aft. The Cabo Rico Northeast 400 really does it all well. She has one of the largest interiors found in a 40 footer, is built to very high standards, is handsome with a lovely sheer, has a deep and safe cockpit and walkways, heavy duty hardware, and two staterooms with a luxurious owner's cabin forward with a queen berth, and masses of storage. The guest cabin is designed as an office, library or second cabin for one. In short, she makes a supremely comfortable liveaboard cruiser which is able, dry and stiff as a sailor.
What makes SAFARI special? Since 2010-2017, her owners have spent well over $250,000 in upgrades. Please note all of her improvements: New standing rigging, New Simrad-B&G networked electronics ($35,000), New Awlgripped hull and spars, New ultrasuede berth cushions, New epoxied bottom, one New fuel tank, New 2017 batteries, rebuilt Balmar alternator, New inverter-charger, New S/S wire double lifelines, New bimini top, New electric Lewmar 44 S.T. sheet winches, New sails and more.
Our office believes there is really nothing left to improve upon. With her Schaefer roller furling main and 150% genoa, she is easily handled by a couple. Who needs to go to the "dark side" when you can still enjoy many years of sailing, all the while powering at trawler speeds. The builder in Costa Rica called to report that these vessels offer much better visibility than other PH Motorsailers as they sail flat, they are stiff as well, and can handle 20 knots without having to reef. One does not have to leave the cockpit to sail this vessel. Please note that a new boat price starts at $650,000.
Please come and inspect this well maintained Motorsailer. Take advantage of this owner's necessary change of plans; an owner who has had decades of owning many special vessels, all kept in first class condition.
Potential purchasers should assume that items on the vessel at the time of viewing, but not specifically listed on this specification sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht. These specifications are believed to be correct but cannot be guaranteed. Specifications are provided for information purposes. Data was obtained from sources believed reliable but is not guaranteed by owner or brokers. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify all speeds, consumptions, capacities and other measurements contained herein and otherwise provided, and agrees to instruct his surveyor to confirm such details prior to purchase. Vessel subject to sale, price and inventory changes, and withdrawal from market without notice.